Visa & Insurance

Student Visas - WISE English

Student Visa

Before applying to study an English course with us, please make sure that you understand the different international student visa requirements for the UK, and what options are available to you.

A. You have a European Union (EU/EEA) Passport

If you come from a European Union member state, or from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you do not require a visa to study in the UK.

B. You have a non-European Union (EU/EEA) Passport

If you do not live in an EU/EEA country, you must apply for visa before travelling to the UK.

The type of visa you will require will depend on the length of your course and your ability to support yourself while you are studying.

If your English course is less than 11 months, you should apply for a Student Visitor Visa.

If you want to study English for more than 11 months, you must apply for a General Student Visa (Tier 4) under the UK Points Based System (PBS).

Under PBS, you must show your level of English is at CEFR level B2 (or equivalent), that you are sponsored by your government, or that you are following a pre-sessional course of English before starting a degree. You must show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies and that you have been given a special ‘Confirmation of Acceptance’ number from WISE. Please note that requirements for international students sometimes change and you should visit the Home Office website for the most up-to-date information.

If you are unsure about which visa you need, we can help you with initial visa advice.



It is important that you purchase insurance before you arrive in the UK so that you can protect your financial and personal effects.

You can make your own insurance arrangements, or buy the International Student Policy from insurance companies such as Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited. This insurance policy is specially-designed for overseas students studying in the UK.

The International Student Policy covers:

  • Emergency medical expenses.
  • Repatriation.
  • Cancellation or curtailment charges.
  • Baggage.
  • Personal money, passport and documents.
  • Course fees.
  • Personal liability.
  • Legal expenses.

The insurance policy can begin before you even leave your country. You may wish to take out a policy when you first enrol with WISE. This provides cover in case you have to cancel your course for an insured reason such as illness or serious accident which prevents you from traveling.

Note: You should read and understand all the terms of the insurance cover before purchasing it. WISE English does not guarantee or endorse this policy in any way. This is merely a suggestion and you are in no way obligated to purchase this policy.